Holiday Shopping Tips
As we approach the craziness of the holiday shopping season, the Fullerton Police Department reminds everyone to use caution and common sense when having packages delivered at home.
Online shopping is convenient and fast. That said, most online packages are delivered to customers’ doors, even if nobody is home to accept them.
Unfortunately, this also brings out no good thieves who are looking for crimes of opportunity (aka a quick buck), as well as criminals that actually t...arget delivery trucks in neighborhoods. To reduce the chances of being victimized by package delivery thieves, the Fullerton Police Department offers the following advice:
• Choose shipping options that require a signature for delivery.
• Check the delivery status of your purchases online so that you can plan on someone being home to accept packages. Some retailers even offer text messages to your cell phone to alert you when items have been delivered.
• On the expected day of arrival, post a note on your door asking the delivery service to leave the package with a trusted neighbor, and don’t forget to tell that neighbor to expect your package.
• Arrange to have the package shipped to another location where someone can receive it. Some P.O. Box stores will accept deliveries for a small fee.
• Ask the delivery company to hold your package for customer pick-up at their local shipping facility.
• If you do not receive your shipment on time, check with the company of origin and confirm the delivery. If the item was delivered and you did not receive it, report the theft or loss to the original company, the shipping company, and to your local Police Department.
• Many of these crimes occur during broad daylight. BE ALERT ABOUT SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR in your neighborhood. Get to know your neighbors so you can trust and rely on one another.
Remember, if you see suspicious activity in your neighborhood, take the time to get involved by simply reporting it. If you observe a crime in progress, call 9-1-1. If you can do so safely, get as much descriptive information as you can about the suspect(s) and/or vehicles, including the license plate, to aid Police in catching the criminals. #DontLetPorchPiratesRuinYourHolidayFun #HelpUsCatchSomeBaHumbugsThisYear #SeeSomethingSaySomething